Search   News archive Contact us|Make us your homepage|

13:42 May 14 2010

Photo album of TibetSpecial ReportMedia Voice
English>>Tibet Online
A unforgettable Yushu
13:41, May 14, 2010  

After the earthquake struck Yushu, I did some interviews in the quake-ravaged area. I was deeply impressed by what I saw and heard there, which was still alive in my memory.

Upon arriving in Yushu on April 16, I came to a medical treatment spot located at the central part of Gyegu Township with Liu Qian, deputy minister of health and his team. While they were locating the venue for Fang Cang Hospital and checking out water sources, size of the space and so on, I went into a medical tent nearby. The small tent was jammed with 6 to 7 wounded people lying on beds with a long queue waiting outside for treatment. The doctors were extremely busy.

Six-year-old Tibetan boy Bingrin caught my eyes. He needed an intravenous drop badly, but it was very difficult because he was injured in the chest, he didn't have breakfast for fear that food might add pressure inside his chest. His blood vessels were too thin to receive the drop. With so many waiting on line, some may reckon that the doctors could have neglected this poor boy. To my surprise, several doctors rub his samll hands and feet in turn while taking care of other patients. Although the doctors tried several times, Bingrin was very strong that he clenched his little hands and held back his tears. It was good that the doctors finally made it.

Later, we got to know that this was the well-known mobile plateau medical team of No. 4 General Hospital of PLA. Political Commissar Guo Zhanwu said, "All the medical personnel have worked here for nearly 30 hours without taking food and drinking. In face of this horrible disaster, it was the unselfish cure and treatment that helped many local Tibetans regain their lives.

On my way back via an Air Force cargo flight on April 19th, I met Wu Yun, a woman doctor from Hubei Provincial Medical Team. Wu was taking care of two patients, a Tibetan girl with a head trauma and an old Tibetan lady whose husband died in the earthquake. Actually, Wu herself didn't look quite well during the flight. Her colleague told me that she had earlier suffered from myocarditis and it recurred during her stay in Yushu. But she never drew back from her work. At that moment she was checking up the dropping bottle for the little girl while comforting the old lady to relieve the pain of losing her beloved from time to time. However, over half way on our flight, Doctor Wu's face suddenly turned pale with her eyes shut, and then she started to vomit into the plastic bag for emergency. Thanks to the effective cardio-reliever pills given by her colleagues, she finally got better.

Seeing what had happened, the Tibetan lady was so moved that she grasped Doctor Wu's hand tightly while I was holding the other one. That was the most unforgettable moment in my life!

According to the schedule, Dr. Wu should be escorted to the Xining Hotel by our team from the China National Radio after arrival. However, upon landing she told us that she was just fine and would prefer to join other doctors sending the patients to the hospital. We invited her to come with us several times, but she insisted on caring for her patients. We ended up waving good-bye from the airport.

Ever since I left Yushu, I have been recalling those touching scenes over and over again that the relief forces from across the country were fighting against the disaster and rescuing victims together with the local people. Looking back, I can still become very emotional. At this particular moment, I am still praying in my heart: Wish the life of the people in Yushu a fresh start at an early date!

Source: China Tibet Information Center

 Related Channel News
· Society
Your Message:
Most Popular 48 hours24 hours