Search   News archive Contact us|Make us your homepage|

21:23 Sep 27 2011

Photo album of TibetSpecial ReportMedia Voice
English>>Tibet Online
Chinese President pledges all-out rebuilding efforts as concerted relief work continues (2)
10:24, April 19, 2010  

Most quake victims had settled in tents and were provided with food, clean water and other basic needs, and those with injuries and illness could be timely treated, Zou Ming with the Ministry of Civil Affairs said at a press conference in Beijing on Sunday.

Hundreds of technicians were repairing damaged power and water supply lines in quake-hit Yushu in northwest China's Qinghai Province, local officials said Sunday.

China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) Sunday vowed all-out efforts to help resume telecommunications in Yushu.

As of 7 a.m. Sunday, 42 of 185 mobile base stations had been unavailable as a result of disruptions to power and fuel supplies, according to the MIIT.

Ministry of Transport also vowed Sunday to spare no effort in ensuring smooth transportation to ensure speedy transfer of the injured and delivery of relief supplies.

Chinese disease-control experts joined with armed corps Sunday to begin large-scale disinfection of the debris and ruins.

The disinfection aims to prevent water pollution, marmot plagues and outbreaks of respiratory and intestinal diseases in the wake of the disaster, local authorities said.

China's quality watchdog vowed Sunday to conduct strict checks on the quality of quake relief materials to ensure safety of these products.

By 5 p.m. Saturday, it had checked 10,020 quilts, 5,023 cotton-padded overcoats, 6,086 tents, 100 mattresses and 10 wool comforters and ferreted out 420 overcoats padded with shoddy cotton among other inferior goods.

Ministry of Commerce (MOC) said Saturday it would send 30 specially modified vans as mobile stores to the quake-hit zone.

The first 10 vans were to arrive at the quake zone in several days, followed by the other 20.

Social order in Yushu has remained stable, a Public Security Ministry official said Sunday.

No criminal cases, major traffic accidents, or major security incidents have so far been reported in the quake zones, Wu Heping, a spokesman of the Ministry of Public Security told a press conference.

DONATIONS STREAM IN

Qinghai Province had received 375 million yuan (54.9 million U.S. dollars) in donations since the earthquake struck the region Wednesday, the provincial bureau of finance said Sunday.

The province has also received donated goods and supplies worth 61.18 million yuan.

National civil affairs authorities have prepared 45,550 tents, 164,240 cotton coats, 198,210 quilts, 100,000 portions of field food and 327.25 tonnes of instant food, as of 3 p.m. Sunday, the Ministry of Civil Affairs said.

A 100,000-yuan donation from the 11th Panchen Lama, Bainqen Erdini Qoigyijabu, was sent to China's quake zone in Yushu, northwestern province of Qinghai, on Sunday, along with his encouraging words.

A 20-member medical team from Taiwan Sunday night arrived in Xining, ready to offer treatment to people injured in the earthquake.

The medical team, bringing more than 1,000 kg of medicine and equipment, arrived at the Caojiapu airport in Xining, capital of Qinghai, at about 9 p.m., the Red Cross in Qinghai said.

Source: China Tibet Information Center

【1】 【2】

(Editor:石希)

 Related Channel News
· Society
Your Message:
    
Most Popular 48 hours24 hours
Photos
http://chinatibet.people.com.cn/96069/6955414.pdf